Calling all paraskevidekatriaphobics! (Those are people afflicted with an irrational fear of Friday the 13th.) We've got two new recipes guaranteed to bring you good luck -- or at least make you feel lucky to be eating such delicious food! Enjoy, and don't walk under any ladders...
Lucky 4-Leaf Salad w/ Feta & Apples
PER SERVING (entire salad): 213 calories, 8g fat, 552mg sodium, 29.5g carbs, 6.5g fiber, 16.5g sugars, 10g protein -- PointsPlus® value 6*
This will save you the trouble of hunting through a clover patch...
Ingredients: 3 cups Fresh Express Lettuce Trio (or any 3-lettuce blend) 1 cup spinach leaves 1 Fuji apple 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion 1 tbsp. All Natural Almond Accents in Original Oven Roasted Optional: freshly ground black pepper, light vinaigrette dressing (or any low-cal dressing)
Directions: Cut apple into quarters and remove the core, seeds, and stem. Thinly slice, and then cut the slices in half widthwise.
Toss together all ingredients except the almonds. Plate (or "bowl") your salad, and then sprinkle almonds evenly on top. You can add some pepper and/or dressing if you like, but this salad's so flavorful you may not even need 'em. Enjoy!!!
MAKES 1 SERVING
HG Alternative! If you can find some fat-free feta, feel free to use that instead. Then your salad will have 181 calories, 3.75g fat.
Pot-of-Gold Rainbow Snack Mix
PER SERVING (1 1/3 cups): 154 calories, 2g fat, 80mg sodium, 32g carbs, 1g fiber, 24g sugars, 1g protein -- PointsPlus® value 4*
No leprechauns were harmed in the making of this tasty (and beautiful) snack mix...
Ingredients: 3 cups popped 94% fat-free butter-flavored microwave popcorn 4 full-sized (or 13 mini) vanilla meringues 1 cup freeze-dried fruit (preferably a colorful mix, like the Just Fruit Salad blend by Just Tomatoes, ETC.!) 2 pouches Fruit Gushers in Tropical Flavors 1/3 cup vanilla-yogurt-covered raisins (like the kind by Sun-Maid)
Directions: Break meringues into small, bite-sized pieces.
In a sealable plastic bag or an airtight container with a lid, combine meringue pieces with all other ingredients.
Secure bag or container and shake thoroughly. Taste the rainbow!
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
And Now, for Your Reading Pleasure...
Hilarious (and CRAZY) food-related superstitions!
* On the Chinese New Year, lettuce is said to bring good fortune. (Yet another reason to eat our 4-Leaf Salad!)
* If you see bubbles in your coffee cup, spoon them into your mouth before they burst, and you'll get money from somewhere unexpected. (Like the lawsuit against the coffeehouse that served you the soapy coffee, perhaps?)
* Everyone knows the superstition of throwing salt over your left shoulder to keep evil spirits away. Well according to Greek folklore, salt can also be used to get rid of unwanted guests. BTW, Greeks also believe that Tuesday the 13th is unlucky, not Friday the 13th.
* To cure baldness, pour rum on a hairless head. (Note: Do not do this to a baldy without warning.)
* In some Asian cultures, long noodles represent a long life -- cutting your noodles before eating them is like cutting your life short. So if you are superstitious, stop hacking your Tofu Shirataki noodles immediately!
CHEW ON THIS: February 13th may be FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH, but it's YOUR LUCKY DAY because HG has two tasty new recipes. Woohoo!
Share this email with superstitious (and hungry) pals everywhere. Click "send to a friend" NOW!
Did a friend send you this? SIGN UP NOW & get your very own DAILY Tips & Tricks!
*The PointsPlus® values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Hungry Girl and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe or its manufacturer or developer by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.