This is the text version of Hungry Girl.
To see the accompanying visuals and links, go to:
Hungry Girl Today: 02.04.11
GIRLS BITE OUT
Let's keep this fast and get right to it -- read this info!
HG's TOP ATE Tips for Fast-Food Trips!
1. Think before you order. You'd Google a blind date, right? Google your meal for need-to-know stats!
2. Value menus aren't valuable to your waistline. Don't just get it because it's cheap and easy to order; you'll regret it. And bigger pants cost more in the long run...
3. Salad isn't always the best pick. The dressing, the cheese, the croutons... Don't assume the greens make it "safe."
4. The fries? They have more calories than you think. Even a super-measly small order averages 300 calories and 14g fat. If you're putting together a low-calorie meal, they should not be included.
5. LOOK OUT for mayo! Seriously, heavy mayo can sink even the most friendly grilled chicken sandwich. And it isn't always listed, so say, "Hold the mayo," just in case!
6. Beware of the limited-time-only offers. The nutritional stats are often MIA. (How convenient.) That special super-stacked burger? It's not worth it.
7. Chicken and fish aren't smart if they're fried. If you bypass the burgers for one of these, make sure it's grilled. (We doubt you'll find grilled fish, so just skip it altogether.)
8. Don't stress too much or feel bad if your meal isn't as low in calories as you'd like. Hey, stopping for fast food is hard to avoid sometimes! Just do the best you can.
Totally trustworthy finds from popular fast-food joints...
McDonald's Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait
1 parfait: 150 calories, 2g total fat (1g sat fat), 75mg sodium, 30g carbs, 1g fiber, 22g sugars, 4g protein -- SmartPoints® value 7*
This is listed with the desserts on the menu, but we consider it a great breakfast, side dish, OR dessert. Also lumped in with the sweets, but good anytime? The Apple Dippers with Low Fat Caramel Dip!
Taco Bell Fresco Chicken Soft Taco
1 taco: 170 calories, 8g total fat (3g sat fat), 450mg sodium, 16g carbs, 1g fiber, 1g sugars, 10g protein -- SmartPoints® value 5*
Want to enjoy a whole meal from TB without swallowing too much fat? Get two of these with a side of Fresco-style Pintos. Your filling meal will come in at about 490 calories, 19g fat, 10g fiber, and a SmartPoints® value of 15*. Not too shabby!
Burger King Whopper Jr. without Mayo
1 burger without mayonnaise: 240 calories, 10g total fat (3.5g sat fat), 330mg sodium, 27g carbs, 1g fiber, 7g sugars, 13g protein -- SmartPoints® value 9*
"Hungry Girl! I require a hamburger!" Not a problem; this pick is totally acceptable. Add a crouton-topped side salad without dressing for 120 calories!
KFC Kentucky Grilled Chicken Breast
1 breast: 180 calories, 6g total fat (2g sat fat), 630mg sodium, 0g carbs, 0g fiber, 0g sugars, 31g protein -- SmartPoints® value 3*
Wendy's Small Chili
1 small order: 170 calories, 5g total fat (2g sat fat), 780mg sodium, 16g carbs, 4g fiber, 6g sugars, 15g protein -- SmartPoints® value 3*
Super-Scary Items to Avoid!
Taco Bell Steak Fiesta Taco Salad
1 salad: 730 calories, 34g total fat (8g sat fat), 1,290mg sodium, 75g carbs, 8g fiber, 6g sugars, 31g protein --SmartPoints® value 22*
Wendy's Dave’s Double
1 burger: 810 calories, 51g total fat (20g sat fat), 1,510mg sodium, 39g carbs, 3g fiber, 9g sugars, 49g protein -- SmartPoints® value 26*
Burger King Triple Whopper
1 burger with cheese: 1,240 calories, 83g total fat (32g sat fat), 1,470mg sodium, 49g carbs, 3g fiber, 11g sugars, 73g protein -- SmartPoints® value 41*
Answers to Burning Fast-Food Questions!
Q: If Hungry Girl were at a fast-food restaurant, what would she order?
A: A grilled chicken sandwich without condiments or a bun OR a grilled chicken salad without croutons or cheese (preferably from Burger King).
Q: How can I make guilt-free swaps for fast food at home?
A: Click here for a SLEW of recipes for slimmed-down junk food, including a massive section of fast-food makeovers!
Q: Why are those drive-thru speakers always so hard to understand?
A: We don't have the answers to everything, people...
For links please go to:
CHEW ON THIS:
This week has been Shape Up With Pickles Time! Have YOU been eating pickles? We definitely have. Wrap some up in lean turkey slices for a protein boost...
Look at all this info! You can't keep this to yourself -- click "Send to a Friend"!
We may have received free samples of food, which in no way influences
whether these products are reviewed favorably, unfavorably, mentioned with
indifference, or mentioned at all. Click for more about our editorial and
*The PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Hungry Girl and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe, or its manufacturer or developer by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark and SmartPoints® trademark. For more info on the new PointsPlus® program, visit weightwatchers.com.
Hungry Girl Inc., 18034 Ventura Blvd. #503, Encino, CA 91316
Terms & Conditions: