This is the text version of Hungry Girl.
To see the accompanying visuals and links, go to:
Hungry Girl Today: 3.26.08
ASK HUNGRY GIRL
Dear Hungry Girl,
The other day I drove by a Carl's Jr. and saw a sign for their "Hand-Scooped Cap'n Crunch Ice Cream Shake". I wanted to try one so badly, but I researched it and learned that each one has 740 calories and 35 grams of fat. Eeeeeks! Can you make a guilt-free version of this heavenly sounding frozen foe? Don't let me down, HG!
Cap'n Crunch Craver
Okay, I LOVE you! Why? Because your email gave me the perfect excuse to actually purchase (and, dare I admit, SAMPLE) that Carl's Jr. Cap'n Crunch shake I have been seeing ads for plastered all over local Carl's Jr. windows. I can't lie -- I have been intrigued by it for a while. In any case, the thing has a bazillion calories and fat grams, and it just isn't worth all that! So, I made a version just for you (okay, for me too!), and it ROCKS! I even ate it for breakfast (shhhh, don't tell anyone). Here's the deal...
HG's Cravin' Cap'n Crunch Shake
PER SERVING (entire shake): 182 calories, 3g fat, 245mg sodium, 35g carbs, 4g fiber, 18g sugars, 4g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*
5 oz. Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze
1/2 cup Breyers Smooth and Dreamy fat-free ice cream, Creamy Vanilla
1/4 cup Cap'n Crunch cereal (original)
1 oz. sugar-free vanilla syrup (like the one by Torani)
1 tsp. Coffee-mate Fat Free or Sugar Free French Vanilla powdered creamer, dissolved in 1 tbsp. warm water
3 no-calorie sweetener packets (like Splenda)
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. Fat Free Reddi-wip
Place all the ingredients in a blender, and then blend with 3 beautiful ice cubes (I hate lame ice). One at a time, add more ice cubes and then resume blending, until your ideal consistency is reached. (I like my shakes pretty thick, so I end up using about 5 - 7 cubes in total.) Then pour your shake into a glass, and top it off with the Reddi-wip!
Okay, this was FUN! Anyone else need guilt-free versions of scary food finds? Bring 'em on -- I'm up for the challenge!
I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. That means that I have to avoid gluten (which is in products made from certain grains, especially wheat). There are so many gluten-free items out there, but many of them either taste HORRIBLE or aren't guilt-free in any way. Do you have any delicious-tasting, guilt-free, gluten-free finds?
Yes! I have some gluten-free finds for you. Some of these are personal favorites, while others are recommendations from people I know who avoid gluten and have really good taste buds. Here they are (drum roll, please)... the TOP ATE Gluten-Free Food Finds (plus one)!
1. House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodle Substitute, all varieties (4 oz. = 20 calories, 0.5g fat, 2g fiber -- PointsPlus® value 0*)
2. LesserEvil Krinkle Sticks, all flavors (1 oz., about 1 cup = 110 calories, 2.5g fat, 2g fiber -- PointsPlus® value 3*)
3. Larabars, Apple Pie and Cherry Pie (1 bar = 190 - 200 calories, 8 - 10g fat, 5g fiber -- PointsPlus® value 5*)
4. Real Foods Corn Thins, any flavor EXCEPT the Rye & Caraway (1 slice = 22 - 28 calories, 0.5g fat or less, about 0.5g - 1g fiber -- PointsPlus® value 0 - 1*)
5. Amy's Mexican Tamale Pie (1 pie = 150 calories, 3g fat, 4g fiber -- PointsPlus® value 4*)
6. Blue Diamond Nut-Thins, all flavors (about 16 crackers = 130 calories, 2.5 - 4g fat, <1 - 1g fiber -- PointsPlus® value 3 - 4*)
7. Amy's Bistro Burger (1 burger = 110 calories, 3g fat, 2g fiber -- PointsPlus® value 3*)
8. Van's Wheat/Gluten Free Waffles, Totally Natural and Apple Cinnamon (2 waffles = 230 calories, 7g fat, 1g fiber -- PointsPlus® value 6*)
9. Chocolite Protein Bars, all flavors (1 bar = 95 - 115 calories, 3 - 6g fat, 4 - 10g fiber -- PointsPlus® value 3 - 4*)
BTW, all the Larabars are gluten-free (I only listed the flavors I LOVE). Same goes for Van's Wheat/Gluten Free Waffles (but the varieties above have the best nutritionals!). Also, you can find tons more great gluten-free stuff from Amy's by clicking here. Enjoy!
For links in this email go to:
CHEW ON THIS:
Today, March 26th, is Make Up Your Own Holiday Day. We're going with
Cereal & Ice Cream Shake Day, so we can celebrate with our guilt-free
Cravin' Cap'n Crunch Shake!
Have a question for Hungry Girl? Send it in! She answers two new Qs each
week (but cannot respond to emails personally).
Spread the HG love. Click "send to a friend" NOW!
*The PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Hungry Girl and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe, or its manufacturer or developer by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark and SmartPoints® trademark.
Terms & Conditions: