Edible Idols: Bacon & Peanut Butter
| || |
Fully Loaded Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs
PER SERVING (1/4th of recipe, 1 fully loaded dog): 186 calories, 4.5g fat, 850mg sodium, 28g carbs, 5.5g fiber, 6g sugars, 13g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*
- 4 hot dogs with about 40 calories and 1g fat or less each (like Hebrew National 97% Fat Free)
- 4 slices turkey bacon or center-cut bacon
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and sliced into strips (not rings)
- 2 tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise
- 4 light hot dog buns (or HG Alternative)
- 4 tsp. yellow mustard
Carefully break 4 toothpicks in half. Wrap each hot dog in a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick half at each end. Set aside.
Bring a large skillet or grill pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove.
Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño pepper and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Remove from the skillet/pan and set aside.
Remove the skillet/pan from heat, re-spray, and bring to medium heat. Add bacon-wrapped hot dogs and cook until bacon is crisp and fully cooked and hot dogs are heated through, about 6 minutes, rotating the hot dogs several times to evenly cook the bacon. Set aside.
Evenly spread mayo inside the buns. Remove toothpicks from the hot dogs and place a bacon-wrapped dog in each bun. Top each dog with 1 tsp. of mustard.
Evenly distribute veggie mixture among the dogs. Eat up!
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
HG Alternative: Can't locate any 80-calorie light hot dog buns? No worries! Just get the lowest-calorie buns you can find, and adjust the calorie count of this recipe accordingly.
* This recipe can also be found in the "Fast-Food Makeovers" chapter of Hungry Girl 300 Under 300: 300 Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Dishes Under 300 Calories!
Hungry for More? Here's another no-guilt bacon-dog recipe -- it's our Pig on a Stick in a Bacon-Wrapped Blanket!
*The PointsPlus® and SmartPoints™ values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Hungry Girl and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe, or its manufacturer or developer by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark and SmartPoints™ trademark.