Hungry Girl's here with some helpful hints for surviving happy hour...
Tips & Tricks: The Basics
* Moderation is the name of the game. Overdoing it with any type of alcohol is a fast way to derail a weight-loss (or maintenance) plan. Not only do the calories in alcohol add up, but if you're tipsy (or hung-over), fattening food may be tougher to turn down.
* A bottle of light beer or a glass of wine typically has about 100 calories. (There are exceptions, of course.) But don't despair if you're not into wine or beer. Just follow our tips for keeping calorie counts in cocktails down...
* A shot of most clear-ish alcohols -- like vodka and rum -- has about 100 calories. So if you mix your liquor with something calorie-free, you can enjoy a single-shot cocktail for around 100 calories and a POINTS® value of 2*. Not bad!
* DON'T trick yourself into thinking juices are guilt-free. They're not. Ordinary fruit juice will likely add 50 - 75 calories to whatever you're sipping.
* Calorie-free sodas are great mixers. We love fruity diet sodas, and Sprite Zero is a fave. Seltzer and club soda are also good, but watch out -- tonic is similar and SEEMS safe, but it's got almost as many calories as regular soda.
* Most Important Cocktail Tip Ever! If you're drinking anything alcoholic, be of the legal drinking age and do not get in a car unless someone sober is behind the wheel. That's KEY for truly guilt-free drinking.
Tips & Tricks: Out and About
* When you're out, order a club soda with a single shot of fruit-flavored vodka and just a splash of fruit juice. If the bar has fruit (orange slices, pineapple chunks, etc.), ask for a piece in your drink. That super-fruity sipper will likely clock in with no more than 120 calories and a POINTS® value of 2*. Just be sure to ask for club soda (remember, tonic has calories!) and only a splash of juice.
* Avoid frozen drinks (daiquiris, mudslides, piña coladas, and margaritas) like the ice-blended plague... especially ones served in glasses the size of salad bowls. Those things are CRAZY-HIGH in calories!
* Steer clear of sweet creamy drinks (we're looking at you, White Russian!) and mega-cocktails made with a ton of booze (like Long Island Iced Tea, which has five kinds of alcohol... YIKES!). Those are loaded with calories.
* If you like to mix OJ into your drinks, opt for Tropicana's new Trop50. It has 50 calories a glass (that's half the amount in ordinary OJ), is naturally sweetened, and tastes REALLY good. There are other great-tasting diet juice-like drink lines out there, too, like Diet Ocean Spray, SoBe Lean, and Diet V8 Splash.
Olive Garden's Chocolate Almond Amore
600 calories, 21g fat, 82g carbs -- POINTS® value 14*
WOW. This isn't a drink, it's a booze sundae! The OG people blend up Irish cream, amaretto, Kahlúa and ice cream, resulting in a drink with more calories than their tiramisu! Not the Frozen Tiramisu drink (well, that too), but the ACTUAL dessert made with custard and cookies. Eeeks.
HG Cocktail Recipe Round-Up!
Impress your friends with these delicious low-cal concoctions...
Can't get enough survival-guide wisdom? Lucky for you, our brand-new, SUPER-CUTE audio book, Hungry Girl: The Official Survival Guides, is now available in stores and online (at iTunes and Audible). Click NOW for the 411!
HG News You Can Use! Change your eating habits for the better this spring. Weight Watchers ROCKS and they can help. Click here NOW!
Take one down and pass it around... Click "send to a friend" and share this info!
Did a friend send you this? SIGN UP NOW & get your very own DAILY Tips & Tricks!
Having mail issues?Click here for a printable, text-only version of this email. And click here for an HTML version.
*The PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Hungry Girl and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe, or its manufacturer or developer by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark and SmartPoints® trademark.
SmartPoints® value not what you expected?Click here for more info on how the values are calculated, plus more FAQs about PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® values on our website.
Hungry Girl Inc., 18034 Ventura Blvd. #503, Encino, CA 91316