Dear Munchie Girl,
I LOVE to snack, too. I'm glad you asked about which snacks are filling, because even I sometimes get sucked into eating snacks that taste good but aren't really great at filling me up. To me, eating a low-cal ice cream treat or a portion-controlled bag of chips is fun and somewhat satisfying -- but those things sometimes make me hungrier. Don't get me wrong; I DO eat them, but they are definitely NOT what I would call filling. As for my top five filling snack picks? Here they are...drumroll, please...
1. A large Fuji apple - Apples really fill me up and Fujis are my fave. A large one has about 80 - 130 calories (sometimes they're REALLY big!).
2. Turkey slices and pickles - I roll up my pickles in turkey and eat about 3 ounces of turkey and 3 smallish pickles. That snack has about 100 calories or so. (PROTEIN ROCKS!)
3. 1/2 cup Fiber One cereal with 1/2 cup Almond Breeze (Unsweetened Vanilla) - Yum...and it has only 80 calories and a whopping 14 grams of fiber!
4. Smoked salmon on high-fiber crackers - A few slices of smoked salmon on 2 of those high-fiber Wasa crackers is incredible. Even if you add a smear of fat-free cream cheese and some chopped red onion to it, you can keep it down to 150 calories.
5. A chocolate-flavored Vitalicious VitaTop - VitaTops are portable, delicious and FILLING. They kill chocolate cravings, have lots of fiber (6 grams each!) and contain just 100 calories or less apiece. I like the HG-developed flavors the best -- Fudgy Peanut Butter Chip and Double Chocolate Dream -- but I do love them ALL!