| || |
Apple & Onion Stuffing
PER SERVING (1/8th of recipe, about 1 cup): 108 calories, 1g fat, 206mg sodium, 24g carbs, 4.25g fiber, 12g sugars, 3g protein -- PointsPlus® value 3*
- 6 slices light bread
- 1 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tbsp. minced shallots
- 1/2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free chicken broth (plus more if needed), room temperature
- 1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
- 4 cups chopped Fuji apples
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup raisins (not packed)
- Optional: black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a medium baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
Lightly toast bread slices. Cut them into cubes and set aside.
Add butter to a large pot over medium heat on the stove. Once melted, add onion, celery, shallots, garlic, and salt. Add pepper, if you like. Stirring frequently, sauté veggies until softened, about 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine broth with egg substitute and stir thoroughly. Set aside.
Remove the pot from heat and add apples, parsley, and raisins. Mix well and set aside.
Add toasted bread cubes to the broth mixture and stir to coat. Add vegetable-apple mixture and gently stir. The bread cubes should be moist but not saturated. Add a few extra tablespoons of broth to coat, if needed.
Transfer stuffing mixture to the baking pan. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and, using a fork, gently fluff and rearrange stuffing. Return to the oven, uncovered. Bake until the top is golden brown, 10 - 15 minutes.
While the stuffing is still warm, mix gently, if needed. Devour!
MAKES 8 SERVINGS
* This recipe can also be found in the "Fun with Fujis" chapter of Hungry Girl 200 Under 200: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories!
Hungry for More? For a more traditional (yet equally guilt-free) stuffing recipe, click here!
*The PointsPlus® values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Hungry Girl and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe or its manufacturer or developer by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.