| || |
Glaze-of-Glory Candied Carrots
PER SERVING (1/7th of recipe, about 1 cup): 102 calories, 1.5g fat, 286mg sodium, 22g carbs, 3g fiber, 13g sugars, 1.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 3*
3 - 4 hours (high) or 7 - 8 hours (low) plus 15 minutes (uncovered)
- 1/4 cup low-sugar apricot preserves or jam
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- One 32-oz. bag (about 6 cups) baby carrots
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stem removed, seeded, and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, stem removed, seeded, and sliced
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- Optional: black pepper, cayenne pepper, and ground ginger
To make the glaze, in a small dish, combine preserves/jam, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Stir well and set aside.
Put all of the veggies in the slow cooker and top with the glaze.
Use a large spoon to stir the contents of the slow cooker up a bit. (Don't worry if the preserves mixture isn't evenly distributed.)
Cover and cook on high for 3 - 4 hours or on low for 7 - 8 hours.
Once the veggies are cooked, in a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 2 tbsp. cold water, and stir until the cornstarch has dissolved. Add to the slow cooker and mix well.
Turn off the pot and leave uncovered for 15 minutes to allow sauce to thicken. Stir and, if you like, season to taste with additional salt and optional ingredients. Then enjoy!
MAKES 7 SERVINGS
* A version of this recipe can be found in the "Crock Around the Clock" chapter of Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet!
Hungry for More? Here's another recipe for comfort food in a slow cooker -- it's HG's Slow-Cooker Fake-Baked Beans!
*The PointsPlus® values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Hungry Girl and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe or its manufacturer or developer by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.